Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Skidaway Island and Ghosts of Savannah

This morning we’re waking up in Skidaway Island State Park. It’s a very nice park. Our rally leader, Sally, told us it’s the most popular park in Georgia. We are very fortunate to be able to get our large group in here. As an added benefit, we have water, electricity, and cable. I really appreciate these luxuries. Even though an authentic “camper” wouldn’t be watching TV on vacation, it’s good to see what’s going on in the real world once in a while.

I was one of the last few to arrive here yesterday evening. (No, I didn’t spend the whole day in the historic district in Savannah. I had some errands to run. For one thing, a screw fell out of my prescription sun glasses and I really missed having them. A nice lady at Sears fixed them for me. Anyway…) We had been told that even though they don’t usually accept reservations here, they would save sites for us. However, we would be scattered all over the park.

Well… We are in sections #1 and #2, which isn‘t so bad. I drove through Section #1 and couldn’t find anything. Three of us were wandering around trying to find a site. Thankfully, some very nice rally mates jumped on their bikes and rode around looking for available sites. There were pink cards posted on the sites we could choose from and I DID have a map, but... They flagged me down and let me know where I could park. Thank goodness for them. I was ready to go back to the KOA we were at the night before. (It was a beautiful park in a very different way.)

It’s very tempting to enjoy a “vacation from my vacation” today. I actually had time to make some coffee this morning. I think this is the first day that we didn’t need to leave our campsite by 9 a.m. Of course, most of us left much earlier than expected, because we didn’t want to try to squeeze our rig into one of the last parking spots and we’re always looking for shade. Shade is very important to Lacey.

I want to get out for a little while though. I’ve been looking into ghost tours. Savannah claims to be the most haunted city in the U.S. One tour company has two tours of interest to me. The first one is a two hour tour of the Bonaventure Cemetery and the other is the Sixth Sense Ghost Tour.

The Bonaventure Cemetery Tour isn’t technically a ghost tour, because the law in Savannah says that they can’t tell ghost stories in the cemetery. Judy and I are leaving for that tour soon. It starts at 2 p.m. It’s a two hour tour. The Sixth Sense Tour starts at 9:30 in the Historic District. It’s a one mile walking tour which will last 2 ½ hours. I read on Trip Advisor that they include a lot of history along with the ghost stories. I hope it will be as good as it sounds. I’ll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment